Maxima is a computer algebra system comparable to commercial systems like Mathematica and Maple. It emphasizes symbolic mathematical computation: algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and much more.
For example, Maxima solves x^2-r*x-s^2-r*s=0 giving the symbolic results [x=r+s, x=-s].
Maxima can calculate with exact integers and fractions, native floating-point and high-precision big floats.
Maxima has user-friendly front-ends, an on-line manual, plotting commands, and numerical libraries. Users can write programs in its native programming language, and many have contributed useful packages in a variety of areas over the decades.
Maxima is GPL-licensed and largely written in Common Lisp. Executables can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android; source code is also available. An active community maintains and extends the system.
Maxima is widely used: annual direct downloads exceed 300,000. Many other users receive it through secondary distribution.
- Specialized in symbolic operations but offering numerical capabilities too.
- Can be accessed programmatically and extended, as the underlying Lisp can be called from it.
- Complete programming language with ALGOL-like syntax but Lisp-like semantics.
- Arbitrary-precision integers.
- Rational numbers of sizes limited only by machine memory.
- Arbitrarily large floating-point numbers ("bfloats").
Follow Maxima -- GPL CAS based on DOE-MACSYMA
Rate This ProjectLogin To Rate This Project
Excellent math software !!
Many excellent features, continually updated, wide-ranging library of applications, runs on many Lisp implementations and so can be combined with AI and other software, and can be used as a front end for numerical libraries. Many users worldwide, responsive news group.
A complete, full-fledged and (if the big amount of functionality it offers is taken in consideration) still easy-to-use Computer Algebra System.
Great computar algebra system!